Our News

News Items

AN EVENING OF MUSICAL EXCELLENCE

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 22 – 7:00 pm
A fundraising concert at FGUC organized by the FGUC Choir.
This evening will showcase an all professional program of performers:
Charmaine Bacon – flute
Rachel Dyck, piano
Andrew Erikson – guitar
Deena Greer – piano
Marlise Ritchie – soprano vocals
Leandro Saltarelli – cello
The Divas – choral

There will be a “meet & greet”
and refreshments after the concert! Tickets for this amazing
musical evening are $20. Call the office at 204-475-1586
for tickets, or email fguc@shaw.ca.

LEAP DAY PARTY

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

LEAP DAY PARTY – SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 29, 5 – 7 PM
at FGUC, cohosted with Spirit Path and Family Dynamics.
Bring your friends and neighbors! Come out and join us for a
fun filled evening of food, games and activities in the upper hall.
All are welcome to this interfaith, intercultural and
intergenerational event. ($15 suggested donation per family,

SNOW SCULPTURE ON CHURCH LAWN!


We are grateful for the artistic talents of Daniel Friesen
for the snow sculpture on our church lawn! This is the
second time he has created a snow sculpture for us,
utilizing the materials of nature!

ECO-FRIENDLY TIPS TO PROTECT OUR EARTH

 

 

 

 

 

At Fort Garry United Church we are keen to do our part
in eco-friendly actions to protect our water, our health, &
our climate. As responsible citizens we are undertaking
and recommending that we all try to follow
these plastic reduction strategies and tips:

WEEKLY HINTS RE: PLASTIC USE:

1. Your blue & black rolling carts
• remember that all loose & dry garbage does
not need to be in garbage bags
• if your bins are not full wait until they are full,
saving time & energy, as the truck won’t need to stop

2. Shop at stores that no longer give out plastic bags
• and let them know of your approval
• bring your own reusable bags

3. Going out to eat?
• Take your own containers for leftovers or insist
on compostable ones

ECO-FRIENDLY TIPS TO PROTECT OUR EARTH

 

At Fort Garry United Church we are keen to do our part
in eco-friendly actions to protect our water, our health, &
our climate. As responsible citizens we are undertaking
and recommending that we all try to follow
these plastic reduction strategies and tips:

WEEKLY HINTS RE: PLASTIC USE:

1. Your blue & black rolling carts
• remember that all loose & dry garbage does
not need to be in garbage bags
• if your bins are not full wait until they are full,
saving time & energy, as the truck won’t need to stop

2. Shop at stores that no longer give out plastic bags
• and let them know of your approval
• bring your own reusable bags

3. Going out to eat?
• Take your own containers for leftovers or insist
on compostable ones

PLASTIC REDUCTION STRATEGIES: PROTECT OUR WATER and OUR HEALTH

 

Of all the plastic waste generated in Canada, only an estimated 9% is recycled. The other 91% is either landfilled, incinerated with energy recovery techniques or lost within the environment.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?
INDIVIDUAL STRATEGIES
1. Avoid buying products (e.g. soap, salad dressings) in plastic containers, bags or wrap.
2. Take your own containers for deli or bulk products.
3. Refuse plastic bags or styrofoam. Take your own in a variety of sizes.
4. Avoid plastic for leftover food or lunches. Reuse containers or beeswax wraps.
5. Gift others with mesh bags, glass containers or coffee mugs.

COLLECTIVE ACTIONS
1. Speak to managers at stores and businesses about plastic free options.
2. For group events plan plastic free, compostable options for plates, glasses, tablecloths.
3. Email your local politicians supporting strategies that reduce use of plastics.
4. Let others know about places to shop or eat that have good options.

TIPS FOR LIVING WITH LESS PLASTICS

1. Bring your own shopping and produce bags.
2. Bring your own coffee mugs and water bottles.
3. Pack lunches in reusable containers.
4. Avoid plastic or styrofoam containers/cutlery/straws.
5. Tell businesses and friends of your preferences.
6. Carry your own straw or don’t use one.
7. Eat at home!

TIPS FOR LIVING WITH LESS PLASTICS

1. Bring your own shopping and produce bags.
2. Bring your own coffee and water containers.
3. Pack lunches in resusable containers.
4. Avoid plastic or styrofoam containers/cutlery/straws.
5. Tell businesses and friends of your preferences.
6. Carry your own straw or don’t use one.
7. Eat at home!

PLASTIC REDUCTION STRATEGIES: PROTECT OUR WATER and OUR HEALTH

Of all the plastic waste generated in Canada, only an estimated 9% is recycled. The other 91% is either landfilled, incinerated with energy recovery techniques or lost within the environment.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?
INDIVIDUAL STRATEGIES
1. Avoid buying products (e.g. soap, salad dressings) in plastic containers, bags or wrap.
2. Take your own containers for deli or bulk products.
3. Refuse plastic bags or styrofoam. Take your own in a variety of sizes.
4. Avoid plastic for leftover food or lunches. Reuse containers or beeswax wraps.
5. Gift others with mesh bags, glass containers or coffee mugs.

COLLECTIVE ACTIONS
1. Speak to managers at stores and businesses about plastic free options.
2. For group events plan plastic free, compostable options for plates, glasses, tablecloths.
3. Email your local politicians supporting strategies that reduce use of plastics.
4. Let others know about places to shop or eat that have good option

“AN EVENING OF EXCELLENCE”

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 22 – 7:00 pm
A fundraising concert at Fort Garry United Church organized by the FGUC Choir.
This evening will showcase Charmaine Bacon – flute,
Rachel Dyck – piano, Andrew Erikson – guitar, The Divas – choral,
and Marlise Ritchie – solo vocals. There will be a “meet and greet”
and refreshments after the concert! Tickets for this amazing
musical evening are $20. Call the office at 204-475-1586
for tickets, or email fguc@shaw.ca.

KUDOS, CONGRATULATIONS AND SUCCESSES

ZEEBU @ WESTWORTH U C
Thank You: The congregation of Westworth United
recently hosted ZEEBU, a retreat for United Church Youth.
This undertaking would have been impossible without the
help of Dianne Cooper and Debbie Houston, and their team,
who prepared and transported two meals to feed eighty hungry
teenagers and adults over the Louis Riel long weekend.
Westworth thanks Fort Garry United for your support of this
important event for the youth of our denomination.

 

 

FORT GARRY UNITED CHURCH CHOIR IS RECRUITING!

The FGUC adult choir is inviting new members!
All voice types welcome! We rehearse on Thursdays
from 7:30 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. and we sing during the
church service on Sunday with a warm up at 10:00 a.m.
and at the service from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
We are a friendly community of people who love to
worship through song. We sing diverse musical styles
and genres. If you aren’t able to attend full time, consider
singing with us part time. If you have questions,
call 204-475-1586 and ask to speak with Helen Bergen,
Music Director, or email fguc@shaw.ca

WALK AND TALK for SENIORS

FRIDAYS, 9:30 – 11:00 AM
at Fort Garry United Church
800 Point Road
A FREE weekly gathering where we meet for a walk and talk,
and enjoy a chat and beverage afterwards. This group is intended
for seniors looking for a gentler style of exercise, and a social
outing atmosphere. Physical activity plays an important role
in maintaining your strength, balance, and overall health.
We are walking outdoors, weather permitting. The routes are
decided by group consensus.
To register or for more information call church office:
204-475-1586 or fguc@shaw.ca